Facts & Statistics
Terrible truth about Chernobyl catastrophe
- Chernobyl accident is equivalent to 500 nuclear bombs
used in Hiroshima in 1945.
- The releases contaminated an estimated 17 million
people to some degree.
- 143,000 people have been evacuated from contaminated
areas of Ukraine
- 600,000 people took part in liquidating effects
of the disaster, 100,000 of which already died or are now handicapped
- Cases of leucosis and thyroid cancer exceed average by
2 and 5 times correspondingly among the Chernobyl victims.
- There are 1.8 million people residing on the
territories of Ukraine, Russia, and Belarus, which are still defined as contaminated
- For the 14 years since the disaster 300,000 died in Ukraine
alone from the radiation sickness